Monday, May 9, 2011

Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster

The name alone is what attracted me to this brew.  Like Hopsecutioner, this one came fresh out of Athens, GA where Terrapin Brewery Co. calls home.  The name was not misleading.  This monster pours out a menacing dark amber color with an off white 2 finger head.  The aromas jumping out of the glass were those of dark fruits, roasted malts, and obviously hops.  The monstrous amounts of hops were balanced out by even greater amounts of malts is what the label says.  This is evident by the dark fruity flavors and the barleywine-like sweetness this beer possesses.  There was an obvious booziness as well, which I didn’t mind as it didn’t fight with any of the complexity of the beer.  I was a little scared of the monster’s color when poured, since I’m not the biggest fan of dark beers in the summer months, however I was pleasantly surprised by how light of a mouthfeel Big Hoppy Monster possessed, leaving my tongue with a crisp hop residue after each sip.  I really enjoyed the complexity of this beer and can’t wait to try it again.

Appearance- A-
Aroma-B+
Taste- A-
Mouthfeel- A
Overall- A-
Big Hoppy Monster
Terrapin Brewing Company
Athens, Georgia
-Stefan

No comments:

Post a Comment